Wednesday 26 September 2007

Darren was interviewed by Greg - part 1

[Source]

My chat w/Darren Hayes...(Pt. 1)
By Greg Hernandez on September 26, 2007 3:00 PM

Singer Darren Hayes called me from London (he lives in the Notting Hill part of the city) recently and we had a good gab about his music, being an out performer, and about the alleged the incident in a restaurant where he was accused of saying racially abusive things to a door person.
We spoke prior to police recommending earlier this week that no formal charges be filed and that there was no racist undertone to the July 22 incident.
"I could never think, let alone utter a racist remark. It's just not who I am," Hayes said. "As a gay man, I find the notion of discriminating against a human being because of race, gender or sexuality to be abhorrent. It goes against everything I have stood for."
An altercation did take place at the restaurant and Hayes received a warning. The singer says the racial element "was a horrible thing to be accused of and I want to thank all of my friends, family and fans for giving me the benefit of the doubt. The experience has been frustrating and at times made me very sad, but through it all I have to say I support the legal system and our right of protection under the law. I'm glad the truth is out there. I just want to concentrate on my music now.”
Hayes was set to kick off his latest tour in Scotland this week, play in London Oct. 3 then play in his native Australia until Oct. 25 before heading to the U.S. for six weeks of promotion. He has not done a full-scale concert in the states in seven years and hopes to do some shows next year.

The 35-year-old Australian singer-songwriter debuted in 1996 as the frontman and singer of the pop duo Savage Garden which had the hots "I Want You", "To the Moon and Back," "Truly Madly Deeply," "I Knew I Loved You" and "The Animal Song." Savage Garden sold more than 23 million albums worldwide before parting ways in 2001.
"It would've been easier to stay in the band or keep the name, I chose a more difficult path," he says.
Hayes released his first solo album, "Spin" in 2002. After his second solo album didn't meet expectations, Hayes left his record label to form one of his own: Powdered Sugar.
Now he is doing things on his own terms which he said is made clear with his new album, "This Delicate Thing We've Made." He says it's his most personal collection of songs - ever.
“I love the record in general because it's been the result of a lot of artistic struggle. I fought realy hard to be in this place in my career, to be an honest person and someone who makes reocrds that are exactly the way I want them to be, regardless of marketing etc."
"I think it's an album in the old sense, when a collection of songs had a purpose. It's not a reaction to what is happening to radio, it's endearingly crafted and put together and it offers something to people who think maybe magic is missing from records today.”
TOMORROW: In part 2 of our interview, Darren tells us about coming out and how he feared it would hurt his career and some other things I'll have to leave you in suspense about...

No comments:

Post a Comment