Thursday 9 August 2012

Jonathan Groff: 'I hopes he's encouraged gay actors to come out'

[Source]

'Glee' Jonathan Groff: 'I hope I've encouraged gay actors to come out'
Published Thursday, Aug 9 2012, 15:43 BST | By |

Glee star Jonathan Groff has expressed hope that his success encourages more gay actors to come out.

The 27-year-old, who plays Jesse St James in the Fox musical comedy, said he doesn't "hold that belief" that his sexuality has any detrimental effect on his career.

"I wasn't yanked out of the closet [but] when I came out, people said it may have a negative effect on my career, and that's definitely something I thought about before I did it," he told Out Magazine.

"But I don't hold that belief. I just go on my auditions and plug away as I normally would. At the end of my career, I can look back and ask, 'Well, did it, or didn't it?' But at the moment, I just have to move forward and hope that people will follow my actions."

Groff found himself at the centre of a major controversy in 2010 when a Newsweek article cited him as one of a number of gay actors unable to convince as straight characters, something which Glee creator Ryan Murphy later branded "blatantly homophobic".

Groff will next hit TV screens in Kelsey Grammer's Boss, which returns to Starz for its second season on August 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment