Saturday 2 March 2013

TGG - Soulful Sound Lounge and a recap of Friday's show at World Cafe Live

[Source]

Interview with Dublin's Guggenheim Grotto
Mar 2, 2013


Guggenheim Grotto

Genre: Alternative/Folk Rock/Indie

Origin:  Dublin

Before their show at the World Cafe Live on 1 March, we had the chance to catch up with Mick Lynch and Kevin May, collectively, The Guggenheim Grotto.



After catching up with the boys, I was eager to hear some of their new music.


Their set began with Beautiful Ideas from the 2008 release Happy The Man.  They continued with Ruby Heart from 2010's The Universe is Laughing a song that shares those "universal" feelings of fear and excitement over a prospective new love.

I really should know better
I've been here before with my arms apart
With a maestro waiting for his show to start
Oh be still, oh be still ruby heart
Oh be still, oh be still ruby heart
Oh be still till you know what you got
            
Electric Life. which was inspired by a "Sidewalk Preacher" in Brookyn, made it's way on the band's new upcoming release, This Time Around.



Cherry Red, also on the new recording, was inspired by 2012's "The End of The World" worries.. ponders the question, if the world was ending, how would you spend those last moments and with whom?



They performed all of my favorites including Everyman, I Think I Love You, Fee Da Da Dee, and both songs that have two of my all time favorite lyrics:

Just Not Just (from Happy the Man)  
cos not everything you run to wants you
(it’s just not just, it’s not just, it’s just wrong)
and not everything you love will love you...
(it’s just not just, it’s not just, it’s just wrong)

And The Universal Is Laughing (from The Universe is Laughing)
Why's it everything I love I can't explain?
Like if the world
Should disappear
Only music will remain

Photograph Boys, which on first listen is a simply stunning song about (I believe) parental loss.  I am apt to agree with Kevin, it should have made the record (Bonus Track, please).

They encored with another favorite Wonderful Wizard.



Check out more beautiful performances on their YOUTUBE, channel and if  you are on the east coast, catch their live show in a city near you.

EAST COAST TOUR DATES

No comments:

Post a Comment