Saturday 28 April 2012

Man uninvited to speak at brother’s graduation for being gay

[Source]

Man uninvited to speak at brother’s graduation for being gay

A man from Michigan has recorded a video venting his frustration after an invitation to speak at his brother’s graduation was withdrawn, when school staff found out he was gay.

Stacey Cosens

Saturday, 28 April 2012

A man from Michigan has recorded a video venting his frustration after an invitation to speak at his brother’s graduation was withdrawn, when school staff found out he was gay.

Dominic Sheahan-Stahl was due to be keynote speaker at a graduation ceremony on May 20 at Catholic school Sacred Heart Academy in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

But the school withdrew the offer when they found out via Facebook that Mr Sheahan-Stahl was gay.

Principal Denny Starnes contacted Mr Sheahan-Stahl’s mother to break the news that due to the fact Mr Sheahan-Stahl was gay and “had a picture and a status on Facebook that says so”, he was no longer welcome to speak.

In his YouTube video he said: “My mother kept asking why and what does his sexual orientation have to do with giving a graduation speech.

“She cried and didn't sleep at all that night. My poor brother, whose graduation it is, couldn't even be in the room when my mum had to tell me. Even my sister cried herself to sleep that night.

“My mum has always taught us to love unconditionally. I am lucky that at 32 this is the first time I've truly been discriminated against, but some kids go through this day in and day out.

“I want those kids to know that they are loved and that the world needs what they have to give.”

No comments:

Post a Comment