Friday 5 April 2013

eremy Sheffield on Patrick's 'evil' side and future - digital spy

[Source]

'Hollyoaks': Jeremy Sheffield on Patrick's 'evil' side and future

Published Friday, Apr 5 2013, 09:00 BST  |  By Daniel Kilkelly

© Lime Pictures
Jeremy Sheffield

Hollyoaks newcomer Patrick Blake may have seemed like a nice guy when he made his debut last November, but viewers have since seen glimpses of a much darker side to his personality.

As revealed in our other reports in recent days, Patrick steps up his controlling behaviour next week as he is horrified to learn that daughter Sienna and son Dodger have been visiting their troubled mother Anna at the care home.

Not wanting his family to have any contact with Anna, the college headteacher becomes threatening and forces her to reject her children in emotional scenes.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Jeremy Sheffield, who plays Patrick, to hear his thoughts on his character's startling behaviour.

How are you finding your time at Hollyoaks?
"I'm loving it a hundred times more than I thought I would! I was looking forward to it, but I had no idea that I'd enjoy it this much. All of the cast members have become really good friends, and that's probably the most important single factor for me at work. We get along more than any other cast I've worked with, and I've had some really good casts in the past.

"We all live quite close to each other and we go out together. That's been a fantastic experience. The other great thing is living in Liverpool. I'd never been to the city before, but I've completely fallen in love with it. I really couldn't have asked for life at Hollyoaks to be any better."

Did you audition for the role of Patrick or did Hollyoaks approach you to join?
"They approached me, very kindly! I'm still not entirely sure how it came about, but I had a phone call and they offered me the part. I had a meeting with Rick Laxton, who's the head of casting at Hollyoaks, and he told me all about the character of Patrick. Once I started hearing what Patrick was all about, I knew it was something that I'd really like to play."

© Lime Pictures
Patrick with John Paul at the college

How do you feel about playing a character with a real sinister side?
"It's a lot of fun! You've probably heard this all before, but the baddies are always the best parts to play. I suppose it's because you're allowed to behave in a way that you never would in real life. It gives you an excuse to do things that would be completely unacceptable otherwise, but that's part of what being an actor is all about.

"I think Patrick is a very complex man. I'm trying to play somebody who could be real - who could be your neighbour, your child's headmaster, or somebody who lives round the corner. I'd like him to be somebody who is believable, but also can be horrifically evil at times!"

Did you always know Patrick had a dark side, or did these more recent scripts come as a surprise to you?
"I definitely knew it was coming, and that was one of the main attractions of the role for me. I've played middle class nice people before and I've had a lovely time doing it, but to have that whole other level and a real dark side is much more exciting for an actor."

How does Patrick feel when Sienna decides to visit Anna in the care home next week?
"Patrick is very clear in his own mind about this. His morals are very clear and his ethics are very clear. He believes wholeheartedly that Anna is deranged and that she is dangerous for his children to be around. He genuinely believes that, and he does not see himself as being the reason for it! (Laughs.)

"Patrick is concerned about Sienna having anything to do with Anna. There's also the fact that Anna can reveal things about Patrick that he doesn't want his children to know.

"Like all of Patrick's behaviour, he justifies it to himself as being the appropriate behaviour given that Anna is dangerous. He can back that up with fact, as she attempted to kill his children. For that reason, he's determined to make sure that Sienna and Dodger don't go to see her - or have any contact with her at all."

© Lime Pictures
Patrick and Anna

We'll also see Patrick being quite threatening towards Anna at the care home…
"Yes, this is a scene which is loaded with history. This couple have been in each other's lives for many, many years and the dynamic has been the same for all those years. Patrick has had complete power over Anna. That's what he strives for in all of his relationships and all aspects of his life - control and power. To him, that's completely normal and he doesn't see it as abusive.

"Saskia Wickham, who plays Anna, is fantastic in this scene. In a way, I have to do very little as an actor in scenes with her, because of her performance. Saskia immediately gives me that power as Anna crumbles whenever he's in the vicinity. That's because he's spent years grinding her down.

"So this scene is a clear vision of their history together, and it's how the dynamic of this relationship has always been. Patrick has created this dynamic because, in his mind, Anna is a very dangerous woman who needs to be controlled. It's quite terrifying!"

Next week we'll also see Patrick helping Maxine with her reading. Is he just being friendly, or is there an ulterior motive?
"Oh, there's definitely an ulterior motive! I'm not sure Patrick is aware of this, though. He's not pre-meditated or psychotic - in his mind, he's able to help Maxine and he likes to play that role. Of course, as an audience, we see that as somebody who's controlling and manipulative. However, Patrick thinks he's just being helpful!

"Patrick sees an opportunity to help Maxine, and it's a dynamic he's drawn to again and again throughout his life. You can imagine it being very similar to the beginning of the relationship he had with Anna. We haven't been through an exact scenario of how Anna and Patrick met, but you could well imagine it's the same as how he's met Maxine.

"He's found a vulnerability in Maxine, so that piques his interest and starts to draw him towards her. The audience will definitely be suspicious that this could be something more sinister…"

© Rex Features / Steve Meddle
Jeremy with co-star Nikki Sanderson, who plays Maxine

Have you had much reaction from the public yet for playing Patrick?
"I have had quite a bit! Out in Liverpool, there are a lot of locals who watch the show. Initially it was, 'Oh, you're Dodger's dad!' But recently people have been saying, 'You're Patrick Blake!'

"It's been very interesting, as people have said that they don't think Patrick is going to be very nice! It's great that they've already seen subtle hints of what's to come. The audience are definitely picking up on the fact that there's something not quite right about this man…"

Are there any cast members you'd like to share more screen time with?
"I've worked with most people already, but I haven't worked with many of the McQueens apart from John Paul, so I'd love to do more with them. Although I'm not sure how that would come about and how they'd end up in the same room together, because they live in such different worlds.

"I also haven't done much with Nick Pickard, and I think some scenes with his character Tony would be more possible as their ages aren't too different."

With the British Soap Awards voting continuing, is there anything you would say in support of Hollyoaks?
"Well, I'm not an expert on soap, but I do get a very strong sense that the show is in the middle of a big change and an improvement. I believe that ratings have gone up, while storylines and writing are improving all the time. Hopefully the audience are seeing that, and it would be really nice for that to be recognised."

> British Soap Awards 2013 - full longlist and details of how to vote
> Read more 'Hollyoaks' spoilers and news

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4, with first look screenings at 7pm on E4.

Digital Spy Soap Scoop - press play below to watch Amie Parker-Williams reveal gossip on weddings in EastEnders and Emmerdale, a funeral in Coronation Street and sinister behaviour in Hollyoaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment